Saturday, March 10, 2012

a window opens

Eons ago, a semester was spent abroad in Siena, Italy.  For the drawing class, equipped with sketch pad and ink pen, a field trip was sometimes taken to the rolling hills of the Tuscan countryside, to just sit and draw, and soak in the landscape.  Numerous hours were spent at the campo, duomo, or one of the many alleyways, to sit, draw, people watch, and take in the astounding architecture packed in every square inch of the cityscape.
for sense of scale, right measures 3"x5.5"

4"x 3"; 1.5"x2"

bottom is 5.5"x3.5"

no bigger than 3"x4.5"


These small scale vignettes of it's culture and landscapes are some of my favorite souvenirs from that experience.  Though I lack "artistic ability" in certain ways, detailed drawings of architecture was something I had always intended to continue, but too many other things always had priority.  When I considered submitting something for The Big Draw,  I looked to my environment and started taking notice of the beautiful architecture that surrounds me.




Of course, these drawings didn't happen for me given the timing of events.  It was volunteering at this event, that I was lucky enough to acquire this painting by a local artist.
6"x12" of Homespun
Ed Vermehren, one of the participants of the live rally drawing.  I love his vibrant use of color in the depiction of this building, Homespun Foods, local eatery.  It is ironic that the very thing I fear, color, was one of the elements that drew me in.  I know nothing about color theory.  My humble little drawings are black and white.  And it is only recent, that color permeates my jewelry in the form of enamels.  I was staring at this painting on my wall, when something finally clicked and everything fell into place.  I now have an idea and concept, and hopefully to execute into a finished piece for the group show for BOS..  This quote has been festering for quite some time, with no clear idea of realizing it in a tangible way, "when one door closes, a window opens-  Alexander  G. Bell".  I can finally connect the dots, and incorporate my most recent intentions in a real and productive way.

Construct a window,

hinged on a box,
opens to the inside with a hand etched , scene on the back panel

...the possibilities are infinite, already have many ideas and options of expanding and developing this idea... I'm excited about the concept of the "inside", opening the window to look "outside" into the scene that is contained "in a box", metaphors abound! I've only initiated the process of this idea, and some of the photos are a rough mock-up, but I am excited to execute and see it to fruition.  Is it too indulgent to be this excited about my own idea?

6 comments:

  1. I love your little drawings of Siena! "Artistic ability" is highly overrated. It seems like many of the popular illustrators now have a certain awkwardness about their drawings and that is why people like them. So forge ahead, it's the doing that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the design. I can't wait ot see more. I try to post a comment but was not successful. Replying to your reply was the only way to write something on your blog.

      Delete
    2. i just checked my settings, should be able to, but this is coming from someone technologically challenged

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good seeing you the other day. These look great!!!

    You should sell one to me :)

    ReplyDelete